Join us in-person as the New York Circle of Translators celebrates our annual Holiday Party on December 18. Re-connect and celebrate with friends and colleagues as we mark the end of another year!
Besides our usual happy hour and sit-down luncheon, we will announce the results of the upcoming Board elections, and we will also have our first-ever Member Showcase. Do you like poetry and fiction? Do you have talents related or not related to languages that you would like to show to fellow members? Listen to your fellow translators read from their own translations of international literature, enjoy their talents beyond translation, and celebrate the end-of-year holidays together!
- Where: Salam Café & Restaurant, 104 West 13th Street New York, NY 10011 (http://salamrestaurant.com/index.html ). The space is very conducive to mingling and we will have it to ourselves.
- When: December 18, 1:00 – 4:00 PM (Please try to arrive by 1:30.)
- Price: $40 per person/guest. Includes appetizers, a sit-down meal, dessert, and soft drinks, beer, and wine.
- Current NYCT members are welcome to bring a guest. The same per-person fee also applies.
Please register and prepay. The deadline for registration and payment is December 1, and the deadline for cancellation with refund is December 7. No refunds will be granted after December 7, as we must provide the RSVP list to the restaurant by that date.
Please see below for instructions if you are interested in participating in the Member Showcase.You will be given 5 minutes for your reading or talent display, followed by 2 minutes for Q&A. You are invited to:
- Read from your own translations (published or works-in-progress). Translations may be into English or other languages.
- Read selections of your own poetry, fiction, or essays (particularly if the topic is translation-related or international, but all topics are welcome!)
- Perform a piece of your favorite music, dance, or anything you are good at.
If you have something to read or perform:
Email Program Director Serene Su (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- Your name and a brief bio
- The English title of the work you plan to read
- The title of the work in its source language
- The length of time it will take to read (up to 5 minutes)
- If it is anything other than reading, please provide the details and how much time you need.
It’s been another long, socially-distanced year… We hope to see you at the festivities!