- General Networking
- Monthly Meeting
- Professional Development
- September 21 Member Meeting: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Translation/Interpretation, and Future Linguists Like You
Date(s) - 09 / 21 Monday / 2020
6:00 pm - 7:15 pm
Monday, September 21, 6-7:15 PM Eastern Time
“Artificial Intelligence, Machine Translation/Interpretation, and Future Linguists Like You”
Speaker: Graham Neubig, Assistant professor at the Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
Artificial intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Machine Translation, and Neutral Language Processing are shaping the future of linguistics. Join us in learning about the basics of each of these, an overview of practical uses of these technologies in the linguistics field, and how they will transform interpreting and translating fields. In particular, advances in current computer-assisted interpretation and the comparison of cutting-edge machine translation systems with human translators will be discussed.
Graham Neubig is an associate professor at the Language Technologies Institute of Carnegie Mellon University. His work focuses on natural language processing, specifically multi-lingual models that work in many different languages, and natural language interfaces that allow humans to communicate with computers in their own language. Much of this work relies on machine learning, and he is also active in developing methods and algorithms for machine learning over natural language data. He publishes regularly in the top venues in natural language processing, machine learning, and speech, and his work has won awards at EMNLP 2016, EACL 2017, and NAACL 2019.Presentation to be followed by Q&A.ATA CE available for ATA Certified Translators.
Registration Fee:Members: Free.Non-Members: $10. Please pay via PayPal.
But wait…Good news!
You have an option to join the NYCT now
at a flat rate of $15 for the rest of 2020!
Please contact the NYCT Administrator Natalia at
for this option before you register.
Before clicking the “Register Now” button below, please pay attention to the following new rules effective now:
- We will use a new Google form for registration this time. All non-members must pay $10. You must type in your payment number in the registration form.
- Please consider joining the NYCT.
- Meeting materials (e.g. recordings, presentation slides) are only available to members. If you register and pay, please try your best to attend the meeting in real time.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation file later with you.
- Please do not share the meeting link with anyone. If we find out you do, you will be banned from attending at least two future events.
The registration will close bythe end of day Thursday, September 17th,or as soon as the maximum capacity is reached.RSVP is required.Limited seats – Act fast!
You will receive the meeting info
on Sunday, September 20th(thank you for your patience!)Thank you for your continuous interest and support!Please contact us anytime if you have any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.Looking forward to seeing you at this meeting!