NYCT March 2023 Webinar
Thursday, March 23, 2023, 6:00 PM EDT
CORPUS: WHY YOU SHOULD START USING IT TO LOCALIZE AND TRANSLATE BETTER
Presenter: Ana Lis Salotti
Do you know what a CORPUS is? Have you ever used one? Have you ever felt stuck with a simple phrase in your source language where you can’t find an equivalent that runs as smoothly as your original? If your answer is no to the first two questions, but yes to the third, this presentation may be right up your alley.
Ana will describe what a corpus is, and how it can become a very valuable—and free—tool for translators when dictionaries, glossaries, Google and other terminology resources can’t help in finding a seamless, elegant translation. She will introduce a few monolingual and multilingual corpora in various languages that are available online, and show how to conduct a corpus search. She will show with examples how a simple, quick search can help translators’ productivity and skills dramatically. English and Spanish examples will be given, but the talk will also be beneficial to linguists working with other languages.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
Ana Lis Salotti is an English>Spanish translator and educator based in California. Originally from Argentina, she has over 16 years of experience in the industry and holds a master’s degree in Translation and Interpreting from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. She has always combined deep practical experience with theoretical grounding and a research-driven approach to translation. Her translation specializations include the environmental and conservation sciences, audiovisual translation, and the US Hispanic community issues. She has also designed and taught various translation courses at New York University, and the City College of New York’s Hunter College and John Jay College of Criminal Justice. She is a proud mom of a four-year-old girl and loves to do yoga and cook healthy, delicious meals.Q&A will follow the presentation.
NYCT members attend for free
Non-members attend for $10
Please consider joining the NYCT
and contact the NYCT administrator Natalia at
with any questions regarding the membership.
Terms and conditions:
Thank you for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime with any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.
Everyone must RSVP and pay (if applicable) before Wednesday, March 22.
- No refunds will be offered after the registration fee is received.
- We are unable to accommodate any late registrations, payments, and inquiries.
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or please consider becoming a member.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation deck with the NYCT to be shared with the members at a later date.
- Please feel free to forward this invitation to any interested parties.
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today. You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thank you for your patience.
Looking forward to seeing you at this meeting!