Tuesday, June 27
CAN TRANSLATORS BE 'AUGMENTED' BY TECHNOLOGY?
On Translation Technology, AI and the Augmentation Paradigm
Recent industry discussions have proposed the notion of translation “augmentation”. This model has been described as a “a technology-centric approach to amplifying the capabilities of human translators” (Lommel 2020:np). Nevertheless, intelligence augmentation (IA) refers to machines enhancing the work, expertise, or experience of a human user or worker. IA is complementary to human intelligence, and it is not intended to take over human function(s).
This presentation overviews recent technological advances in order to identify whether human translators in the language industry are truly technologically “augmented” and remain fully in control. In a professional environment marked by anxiety over automation and technological disruption (Viera 2018; Sakamoto 2018, 2020), the presentation will discuss the central role of professional translators in this new technological environment. Will humans work in a process controlled by AI or, rather, will translators control the process with “machines in the loop”?
Miguel A. Jiménez-Crespo holds a PhD in Translation and Interpreting Studies from the University of Granada, Spain, and is an ATA certified English> Spanish translator. He is a Professor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Rutgers University, where he directs the graduate and undergraduate program in Spanish – English Translation and Interpreting. He is the author of Crowdsourcing and Online Collaborative Translations: Expanding the Limits of Translation Studies published by John Benjamins in 2017 and Translation and Web Localization published by Routledge in 20013. He is in the editorial board of a number of Translation and Interpreting Studies journals such as Meta: Studies in Translatology, Jostrans: The Journal of Specialized Translation, Translation and Interpreting, The Journal of Digital Translation, InContext or Sendebar.
Q&A will follow the presentation.
The Zoom link will be shared with registrants ahead of the event
NYCT members attend for free
Non-members attend for $10
Please consider joining the NYCT
and contact the NYCT administrator Natalia at
with any questions regarding the membership.
Terms and conditions:
Thank you for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime with any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.
Everyone must RSVP and pay (if applicable) before Tuesday, June 27.
- No refunds will be offered after the registration fee is received.
- We are unable to accommodate any late registrations, payments, and inquiries.
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or please consider becoming a member.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation deck with the NYCT to be shared with the members at a later date.
- Please feel free to forward this invitation to any interested parties.
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today. You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thank you for your patience.
Looking forward to seeing you at this meeting!