Wednesday, September 27
Computer-assisted interpreting makes use of software designed to support and facilitate some aspects of the interpreting task with the goal of boosting quality and productivity.
This session will explore tools that should be in your interpreting toolbox:
- corpus-driven interpreting preparation (how can you use big amounts of data to mine terminology and prepare for assignments?)
- feedback for the production aspects of deliberate practice/teaching (how can you qualitatively measure your speech production?)
- speech analysis that reveals prosodic patterns, such as jitter/voice breaks and excitation patterns (for example, are you aware of how many fillers you use?)
The tools presented in this session will help with terminology preparation and some aspects of delivery (such as accent and prosody) and will appeal to beginning and experienced interpreters alike.
About the Speaker:
Cris Silva is a Brazilian Portuguese conference interpreter, translator, terminology manager, and voice-over talent. She is ATA-certified (Portuguese to/from English), a member of AIIC and TAALS, and works as a program analyst in terminology/translation memory for the U.S. Census Bureau. She has an MA in translation, an MAS in interpreter training from the University of Geneva, and a terminology manager certification from the European Certification and Qualification Association. She is currently working on the terminology and professional diploma at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona.
Q&A will follow the presentation.
The Zoom link will be shared with registrants ahead of the event
NYCT members attend for free
Non-members attend for $10
Please consider joining the NYCT
and contact the NYCT administrator Natalia at
with any questions regarding the membership.
Terms and conditions:
Thank you for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime with any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.
Everyone must RSVP and pay (if applicable) before Wednesday, September 27.
- No refunds will be offered after the registration fee is received.
- We are unable to accommodate any late registrations, payments, and inquiries.
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or please consider becoming a member.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation deck with the NYCT to be shared with the members at a later date.
- Please feel free to forward this invitation to any interested parties.
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today. You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thank you for your patience.
Looking forward to seeing you at this meeting!