- General Networking
- Monthly Meeting
- Professional Development
- April Monthly Meeting: Translation Work at the International Organizations: How to Get Involved
Date(s) - 04 / 14 Wednesday / 2021
10:00 am - 11:00 am
NYCT April member online meeting
featuring James Phillips,
Director of the Patent Cooperation Treaty Translation Division at the World Intellectual Property Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Wednesday, April 14, at 1:00-2:00 pm EST via WebEx
Presentation: Securing Translation Work with International Organizations: Understanding the Process
Vast amounts of translation work are put to tender by the United Nations and by affiliated organizations such as the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) every year. This is because these organizations are bound by strict procurement rules that stipulate how they may engage with translators. James will outline how these procurement rules work and what they mean for people who would like to work with such organizations; furthermore, he will also discuss how to apply and submit a tender, and point out the most common mistakes applicants make. This session will be of interest to both freelancers who want to get a foot on the ladder and translation agencies.
James Phillips has served as the director of the Patent Cooperation Treaty Translation Division at the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, since 2010. He had an early career in engineering before initially becoming a Japanese>English patent translator and later setting up patent translation companies during an extended stay in Japan. As director of the Patent Cooperation Treaty Translation Division, he is involved in large-scale public tenders for the procurement of translation services from Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and European languages into English and French.
Wednesday, April 14
1:00-2:00 pm EST
Q&A will follow the presentation.
ATA CEP available for ATA-certified translators
Free for NYCT members
$10 all non-members: please pay via PayPal
noon Eastern Time on Monday April 12
or as soon as the maximum capacity is reached.
Please consider joining the NYCT
and contact the NYCT administrator Natalia at
with any questions regarding the membership.
Terms and conditions:
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or please consider becoming a member. You must type in your payment confirmation number in the registration form before you can submit your registration.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation deck with the NYCT to be shared with the members at a later date.
- The meeting will not be recorded. Please try your best to attend.
- Please feel free to forward this invitation to any interested parties.
- No refunds will be offered after the registration fee is received.
- The registration will be closed after the deadline. Sorry, we are unable to accommodate any late registrations, payments, and inquiries. Please act fast!
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today! You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thank you for your patience!
- Please do not share your personal meeting link with anyone. If we find out you do and a guest shares your access, you will be banned from attending at least two future events.
Thank you for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime with any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.