New York Circle of Translators
February 2021 Member ONLINE Meeting
Off the Shelf: The performance of Literary Translation
Literary Translators do far more than translate words on a page. They transform culture, voice, idioms, rhythm, imagery, register, and even punctuation as they carry an author’s voice to a new audience. Every translation of text entails a thousand decisions and relentless attention to details, and sometimes this means changing certain things more drastically than you might expect. For this presentation, Daniel Hahn will demonstrate the art that goes into the process by talking through the transformation of an apparently simple picture-book text. What comes out at the other end may be a “translation” – or is it something else? (No specific language expertise required.)
Daniel Hahn is a writer, editor, and literary translator with some 50 books to his name. His translations (from Portuguese, Spanish, and French) include fiction from Europe, Africa, and the Americas, and nonfiction by writers ranging from Portuguese Nobel laureate José Saramago to Brazilian footballer Pelé. He is a former chair of the Translators Association (for UK literary translators), the Society of Authors (UK trade union for professional writers, illustrators, and literary translators), and a past director of the British Centre for Literary Translation. He speaks regularly about translation and literature on radio, at conferences, and at festivals all over the world.
Wednesday, February 10
5:30 – 6:30 PM Eastern Time
Via WebEx Platform
Presentation to be followed by Q&A
ATA CEP available for ATA Certified Translators
All Non-Member: $10.
and contact the NYCT Administrator Natalia at
for any questions related to membership.
Before clicking the “Register Now” button below, please read the following rules:
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or becoming a member before registering. You must type in your payment confirmation number in the RSVP form before you can submit it.
- We will not record this meeting. If you register and pay, please try your best to attend real-time.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation file later with you.
- You are welcome to forward this event notice to anyone who might be interested.
- You must register AND pay before the deadline. Sorry, we are unable to accommodate any registration and payment once it is past the deadline. PLEASE ACT FAST!
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today! You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thanks for your patience!
- Please do not share the meeting link with anyone. If we find out you do, you will be banned from attending at least two of our future events.
Thanks for your understanding!
The registration will be closed at noon Eastern Time on Monday February 8 or as soon as the maximum capacity is reached. Limited seats – Act fast!
Thanks for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime if you have any comments, questions and suggestions for future topics. Looking forward to “seeing” you in this meeting!