Date(s) - 05 / 10 Monday / 2021
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
NYCT May 2021 Member Online Meeting
Monday, May 10, 6-7 pm Eastern Time via Zoom
Terminology of the Streets: Societal Issues of Crime, Drugs, Gangs and Beyond
This presentation will familiarize today’s interpreters and translators with common terms associated with street drugs and criminal street gangs. More specifically, it will focus on the raging fentanyl and heroin crisis; current slang used by individuals addicted to controlled substances; current law enforcement investigational terminology; and the terms and phrases used by drug trafficking organizations engaged in the transportation and sale of illegal narcotics, and the lifestyle, terminology, hierarchy, and customs generally associated with criminal gang activity in today’s society.
Jeff Torres is currently a full-time Law Enforcement professional with over 25 years of law enforcement experience, supervision, and training. His vast experience as both an investigator and supervisor in many high-level felony investigations including, but not limited to, Homicide, Robbery, Narcotics, White Collar, Fraud, Sexual Assault, and Death Investigation, makes him uniquely qualified to present on topics that directly impact the work of professional interpreters and translators in the judicial, medical and social services fields. Mr. Torres’ experience as a Narcotic Task Force Supervisor, combined with his many years of Patrol experience, has led to his ability to speak professionally on topics related to current illegal drug trends, criminality, and the operational tactics of organizations supplying them to our communities.
Q&A will follow the presentation.
ATA CEP available for ATA-certified translators
Free for NYCT members
noon Eastern Time on Friday, May 7
or as soon as the maximum capacity is reached.
Please consider joining the NYCT
and contact the NYCT administrator Natalia at
with any questions regarding the membership.
Terms and conditions:
- All non-members who would like to attend this meeting must pay $10 (for this talk only) or please consider becoming a member. You must type in your payment confirmation number in the registration form before you can submit your registration.
- It is at the presenter’s discretion to share the presentation deck with the NYCT to be shared with the members at a later date.
- The meeting will not be recorded. Please try your best to attend.
- Please feel free to forward this invitation to any interested parties.
- No refunds will be offered after the registration fee is received.
- The registration will be closed after the deadline. Sorry, we are unable to accommodate any late registrations, payments, and inquiries. Please act fast!
- Please mark your calendar for the meeting date and time today! You will receive the meeting info about 24 hours prior to the meeting time. Thank you for your patience!
- Please do not share your personal meeting link with anyone. If we find out you do and a guest shares your access, you will be banned from attending at least two future events.
Thank you for your ongoing support! Please contact us anytime with any comments, questions, and suggestions for future topics.
Looking forward to “seeing” you at this meeting!